• Show
Clear All

• Kiwi-tuna

My mods so far:

2015 white tuna
    Cheapo MCC bullbar which is ok quality
    Rumva 9500 winch
    Underbody protection
    265/70/17 Hankook MTs (which I really like - aggressive AT tyres really)
    Zero offset steelies
    2019 black grill
    Towbar
    OME suspension and modest lift
    Removed the steps
    TJM snorkel

Soon to come, the bullbar top loop is getting re-powder coated and should be on soon
    Some good LED spotlights mounted on bullbar

After that not so sure...

It's been a learning curve for me, I grew up on a farm and so know what a proper 4x4 should be like, but I've never actually built one up before, so trial and error... Some of the parts have been cheap, but that is how you learn...
    Last edited by bigkuri; 23-01-2019, 09:03 AM.

Still looks great and well made though.

Comment

Nice. Welcome to the group

Comment

Thanks guys,
        I added on the top (single) loop on the bulbar - mainly just for looks... Planning some large LED spots, and I really need to fix the mudguards as they scrape on the tyres.

This truck can take some knocks for sure, been over some pretty rough tracks now - winch has been handy!

Comment

It looks nice. How high is the lift kit?

Comment

Just the standard OME, which I think is 45mm front and 35mm rear

It feels like more than that though ,less sag all round, plus the tyres give it an extra 20mm

Comment

Comment

Well after two years that's all she wrote. Thanks to all for various advice and help with things; the rear seat removal, boot lid beep disable, and in particular the fuel-filter reset procedure were incredibly helpful, just to name a few.

I was getting increasingly disgruntled with the Fortuner; lack of after-market, limitations on a few things (wheel size), and mainly: reliability. On that latter point, my truck had two DPF replacements - during the week I drive 150km in city only, short trips. In the weekends it is 300km of open road. And every 3-6 months a large 3,000km trip down the length of NZ to the family farm. Whatever reason, the DPF just hated that combination of driving. The fuel-filter sender also failed twice, initially they replaced it with the exact same 2015 version, and only a month ago I finally got them (out of warranty) to replace it with the newer upgraded parts. The front drivers seat also failed - lost it's ability to change height without crashing down. The cam-chain started rattling, and Toyota (at 50km) said I'm imaging it, and reminded me it's out of warranty.

The truck was great fun anyway, and very capable off-road. what drove me over the edge was Toyota NZ basically calling me an idiot for all the various failures. That, and that they offered only a $30k trade in value. Toyota NZ just cannot seem to shift these trucks, and so don't want to touch them. I tested out a V8 LC200, and when I said "I hope this is more reliable" the salesperson quipped that "oh sure as this is a Japanese Toyota" clearly inferring that it was not Indonesian-made.

I walked away from Toyota with my money, and for a bit of fun have now bought a Ranger Raptor. Ford gave me a very fair trade-in and deal ($10k better than Toyota), so unlike Toyota they wanted my business.

So it's all a bit bitter sweet. The time with the truck while it actually all worked was great; as said it was pretty capable off-road and then could cruise home in comfort. it was mainly just the disappointment with Toyota themselves and their shocking trade-in value.

Comment

What did you replace it with?

Comment

Working...
                  X