Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2018 Fortuner Touring rig

Hi guys,

I have a 2018 GXL Fortuner that I am starting to build for touring and looking at the following just not sure yet if I do most of these with ARB or TJM at the moment. I live rural and do have a local guy who is a TJM agent but not sure.
    • Bull bar
    • Side bar and step
    • Drifta draws and fridge holder for back
    • TJM or Oldman EMU suspension
    • possibly airbags for towing but will wait and see
    • Radio
    • 2nd Battery (can mount in engine bay or Drifta Draws have a rear battery setup
    • Automatic Transmission cooler not sure what to go here yet
    • Under car protection
    • Winch
    I have already done the following:
    • Toyota Snorkel
    • Toyota Nudge bar (Will sell this)
    • HardKore light bar
    • Roof rack system by Rola
    • Catch can and 2nd fuel filter
    • King Awning
    • Toyota Tow bar
    Am I missing anything that other would recommend for touring in the Fortuner and recommend anything on what I looking at?
    Last edited by jstorm3010; 02-06-2020, 06:53 AM.

Hi Mate, I really like the long range tank. ARB fitted mine a couple of years ago.

Comment

The bigger well known brands are best if you can stick to them.

Either a sub tank (just over 45 litres) or long rang tank are good, especially if distances between towns are more than your stock tank's range, plus towing uses a bit more fuel. A replacement long range tank will require your spare to be relocated onto a rear swing away rear bar, or onto the roof. The sub tank sits above the spare, lowering the spare a bit closer to the ground. I've the sub tank & think its worth while.

Comment

jstorm3010, sounds like you are going to end up with a nice unit when you are finished.

Anthony, I am considering the ARB 45 litre tank. Do you know how much the spare tire is lowered by?

My build so far is pretty lame, tinted windows, tow bar, and canvas seat covers. I did have Toyota remove the back seats as part of the delivery, and will likely add in a rear slide drawer system at some point soon.

Comment

Hi-Ya. About 4 inches, but very minimal departure angle impact if any. Up & down your more bumpy dunes or tracks, you will bottom out here & there. But low speeds & picking better lines reduces that likelihood.

Comment

The fuel tank upgrades sound good. I like to go this way but not sure on the 4inch drop of the spare. I like a rear bar with tire mount but I think for day to day use this could become annoying as I will be using this for work as well and carry boxes in the back regularly getting in back. Is the rear bar option add a lot of weight and I guessing this would be around 2-3K?

I sort of feel taking a jerry can is not a bad option and have done this in the past but a larger tank be nice to have especially when fuel is cheap!

Comment

Not sure about price but maybe check with ARB. They sell the Kaymar brand rear bar. I didn't get one because of GVM concerns, which isn't great on a Fortuner. Maybe others can help with knowledge about rear bars.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony View Post
                Not sure about price but maybe check with ARB. They sell the Kaymar brand rear bar. I didn't get one because of GVM concerns, which isn't great on a Fortuner. Maybe others can help with knowledge about rear bars.
                Well that is my concerns regarding GVM. I know the Fortuner not great here so might just stay with Jerry Cans.

Comment

Working...
                X