Secondary Fuel Filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Secondary Fuel Filter

Hi - interested in hearing from anyone that has fitted a secondary fuel filter to their Fortuner. I am looking at installing a 2 micron filter after the factory unit but have concerns about the additional load this might put on the fuel pump system. Has anyone tackled this? I like the idea of protection for water and contaminants particularly when fuelling up in remote localities.

Have done the usual stuff i.e. second battery, Redarc, (not much under-bonnet space now for a second filter), light bar and UHF; anybody out there put a lift kit on?

Cheers SJ

I have fitted a 30micron second filter to mine , as a pre filter. a couple of reasons - the 20 and 30micron ( so ive been told ) are better at catching water globules than the 2 micron. Plus , while the car is under warranty i didnt want to go installing anything after the factory 10 micron filter. then i cant be accused by Toyota of fiddling with the factory system. if that makes sense. They didnt say anything to me at the last 2 services so maybe its all good. A 2 micron filter can impose additional suction on the factory system ( again ive been told ) . there is a sensor inside the factory filter which will bring up a dash light if anything is blocking it.
    yes it does get a bit tight in there with a second filter and a Redarc system but the 2 brackets are bent to fit so will go in ok. I installed an Ironman 40A DCDC in front of the battery so no problem with space for my filter now.
    I have also been told that fuel bowsers are supposed to have a 30 micron filter installed thiese days but dont know how true that is.

at my next filter change i'm going down from a 30 to a 20. At this stage ( touch wood ) my pre filter has got no water trapped in the bowl at all.
    2016 GX , in White

Comment

Cheers - I reckon I'll have to go across the other side to mount my filter, appreciate the advice.

Comment

there is more space there , but I probably wouldnt do it , mainly because there will be a lot more hose required , running across the back of a hot engine , more to go wrong sort of thing. And if you mount it near the brake booster there will be no space for a catch can if you ever want one.
        it will fit on the left side , the brackets are offset to suit. it will be tight but doable.
        2016 GX , in White

Comment

Originally posted by Speckled Jim View Post
          Hi - interested in hearing from anyone that has fitted a secondary fuel filter to their Fortuner. I am looking at installing a 2 micron filter after the factory unit but have concerns about the additional load this might put on the fuel pump system. Has anyone tackled this? I like the idea of protection for water and contaminants particularly when fuelling up in remote localities.

Have done the usual stuff i.e. second battery, Redarc, (not much under-bonnet space now for a second filter), light bar and UHF; anybody out there put a lift kit on?

Cheers SJ
          I have installed the 2 micron system just in front of the brake booster, plumbing is no issue and if anything did happen just remove ahead of going to Toyota.
          I did take mine in to plug into Toyota system to check that there was no strain on the pump, all was well within factory parameters, so peace of mind having the additional water trap and the 2 micron filter for back land fill ups.

Comment

Hi
            I had been advised by 2 different diesel mechanics that it is advisable to fit a secondary fuel filter to any diesel vehicle. Reason given was that the diesel fuel quality was variable (especially in the last few years) and that they had experienced an increase in engine repairs due to 'dirty' fuel. I contacted the local Toyota dealer and was advised that the Fortuner warranty could be made void by installing a pre-filter (before the existing Toyota filter) but it was ok to install an after-filter. On my request they supplied and installed a secondary 2 micron filter (see photo). The new secondary filter (after the Toyota filter) is mounted on a supplied plate, and is the rear filter of the two in photo.

The filter was obtained from http://www.dieselcare.com.au/product...er-kit-dcs036/. They also advised that the filter should be changed every 20,000km. The filters are around $40 each.

No obvious effect on fuel supply of 2015 Fortuner GX 2.8L TD Click image for larger version

Name:	Fortuner_WithSecondaryFuelFilter_B.jpg
Views:	621
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	6397

Comment

I'm interested in doing this also.
              How much did the dealer slug you for the install?

Thanks.

Comment

Cost to supply and install was $450. Even though the cost was high (not surprisingly given it was done by the dealer's service centre) I decided to get it done by the Toyota dealership to ensure that there could be no 'pass the buck' issues in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary2 View Post
                  Cost to supply and install was $450. Even though the cost was high (not surprisingly given it was done by the dealer's service centre) I decided to get it done by the Toyota dealership to ensure that there could be no 'pass the buck' issues in the future.
                  Cool.
                  That's what I was thinking too.
                  Wonder whether they'd supply & install a catch can too?

Comment

Working...
                  X