Family adventure truck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family adventure truck

Just starting my build to turn the fortuner into my daily driver and weekend adventure wagon.

Im aiming to keep understated and close to stock looking.

I've upgraded all interior lights to led. This weekend I changed the interior cabin air filter. I also upgraded the fog lights to cool white led bulbs. They look pretty good.
    waiting for the weekend

Finally got the photos working - I think it looks much better with all the lights the same colour.
    waiting for the weekend

Comment

My next project is a cargo shelf and sliding pull out drawer/shelf. I'm not a big fan of drawers as for my purposes I feel like a lot of space is lost due to the set up.

For my build I'm going to make a shelf and pull slide out cargo area underneath. I'm hope to also combine a sleeping shelf in there as well but lets see how good my limited skills are.

I'm planning on using bunnings connect it and alumininum tubing.
      18mm Form ply for the Base which I"m going to attach the sliders too.
      haven't decided on the ply for the tops.

I fear I cannot accurately describe what is in my head. so i'll revert to pictures.

I make a template out of cardboard of the floor of the cargo area and cut it out using a jigsaw.

I then cut out some areas of the material to save of the weight.

The form ply is 18 mm so overcome the lip of the floor and edge of the boot.

Next job to router the edges...
      waiting for the weekend

Comment

Hey Doddsey, looking forward to seeing your sleeping area, as the second row seats and stepped floor don't help. Post some photos when u can, cheers.

Comment

What breed of LED globes have you got in the fog lights ?

Comment

HI Wiggy

I got them off ebay. Seem to work welll.

2x H16 High Power 100W 2400LM 90° Angle 6000K White Fog Light LED Bulbs
            waiting for the weekend

Comment

I decided to plastidip my rims. They look great but there are few parts I'm a bit disappointed in. I read all the reviews and how to's but messed up a few parts.

I think it looks really mean..... i might give it a few weeks and if i really like it I might get them painted. I've been quoted about $80 per wheel.

I got the plastip of ebay and it included glossifier which really makes it pop.

it was a bit of effort I did about 7 coats all up. Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	7036
              Last edited by Doddsey; 24-07-2017, 01:19 PM.
              waiting for the weekend

Comment

• Skardo22
                Skardo22 commented
                Editing a comment
                whats size are your Hankooks?

• Doddsey
                Doddsey commented
                Editing a comment
                I went the standard size. 265/60r18. I really wanted something bigger but I'm very limited by the height of my garage.

I wanted to get bf Goodrich ko2 but I couldn't justify the price.

I do like the hankook. My third set on different trucks and they were the right price @$250 per corner

• Skardo22
                Skardo22 commented
                Editing a comment
                Cool, I was only wondering as they looked taller then mine and I've heard they have a 265/65R18 now, but I can't find it on their web page.

I'm continuing working on my rear cargo set up and I must give a shout out to Jres for his inspiration for the bottom https://www.fortunerforum.com.au/for...-storage/page2

The base fits really well and is't too heavy. I've been trying to get some galvanized brackets from bunnings to fit the seat belt bolt and attached under the board.
              waiting for the weekend

Comment

I'm making the frame of the cargo shelf out of square aluminum tube and the Connect -its. Its very easy and fool proof for someone like me with out a lot of skills other than workshop from school.

It probably don't make a lot of sence yet but it will as the build comes along.
                waiting for the weekend

Comment

I just used metal screws to attach the ply to the frame. I left 12mm on the side edges so the wings could have some space on the frame to rest.

just a template to make the wings.
                  waiting for the weekend

Comment

I stole the idea off a patrol forum on how to make the sliders. basically used a 50 x 50 angle and a 20 x 20 angle and bolted and riveted it together.

used 125 kg slides mainly due to cost and I don't see too much weight on the slide out shelf.
                    waiting for the weekend

Comment

I attached the frame to the car three ways:

1. made (bent) a premade bunnings brackets to fit into the 3rd row seat belts.
                      2. used a tee nut to make a secondary attachement from the aluminum frame to the plywood base.
                      3. used a bunnings 90 degree bracket which bolts straight into the 3rd row seats and an eye bolt into the aluminum frame.
                      waiting for the weekend

Comment

Starting to carpet up and putting tie down points and attaching the wings.
                        waiting for the weekend

Comment

Looks really good. Get that production line sorted because there will be a few orders coming...

Comment

Thanks for documenting this, its great to see how others are doing things and get ideas.
                            Dave
                            Last edited by DaveC; 17-08-2017, 08:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X