Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front diff locker

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and have just picked up my new Fortuner, had all the usual mods done with ARB 2" OME suspension , Saraha bar, 275/70 BKO2 BFGs (just fit) and a 125 ltr fuel tank. Its set up for touring. However there will be times when it will be up in the high country and just wondering if the traction control is adequate (along with the rear diff locker - I'm aware the traction control doesn't work when the locker is engaged). Is a front locker worth the investment ?
    i previously had a FJ Cruiser and the A-Trac function worked brilliantly, sometimes better than having the locker engaged.
    Any feedback, experiences etc would be most appreciated.
    Thanks heaps.

Mate you've certainly set your truck up well with all the gear you are ever likely to need. i'm not trying to be smart here but have you thought about where you are likely to go with rig. A front locker means you will be crawling with front and rear lockers engaged in a straight line only to get out of an impossible situation. You have no steering with a front locker. With a rear locker only you have steerage. My choice after putting on the gear you have, (if you feel you need any more ) would be a winch. A winch will get you out of situations a locker won't and can be very handy (in fact mandatory ) in really extreme stuff. In my opinion far more useful than a front locker. Just my thoughts. Cheers.

Comment

• Miko
      Miko commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey Davidd, thanks for the reply. I have a winch (Runva 9500) already fitted. I tend to agree with you, the FJ was such a capable off road vehicle but lacked room and was limited with its towing capabilities - plus i racked up al ot of km in a short time. It seems from what i have read the Fortuner is also capable off road but as yet i haven't put it to the test. No doubt that will happen one day. Appreciate your feedback.

a front locker is available , off the new Hilux , but i dont know if anyone on here has fitted one as yet.

someone on the Prado forum was able to fit a switch which allowed him to keep the traction control working while the diff was locked. Ive attached the Tuna wiring diagrams , so if anyone wants to be a guinea pig you now can
    Last edited by White One; 4 weeks ago. Reason: extra info
    2016 GX , in White

Comment

• Silverfox1111
      Silverfox1111 commented
      Editing a comment
      If you google "any time locker" & get to "buds customs" page you will find a setup that allows the rear locker to be on while the traction control is still working. I haven't got this yet, but am seriously considering one for my hilux.
      Silverfox

I've had one of the Harrop elockers fitted in the front of my GXL for a year. It does make the vehicle a lot more capable, but you have to use a bit of common sense with it to avoid breaking stuff.
    Miko I see that you're in Berwick which is an hour west of me, maybe a trip out north of Walhalla would be a good way to see a front difflock in action on a Fortuner............
    Last edited by wiggy; 3 weeks ago.

Comment

• Miko
      Miko commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey Wiggy, no worries - know the area well. I've wanted to head up there recently but a number of roads and track are closed due to to fires.
      Look forward to that trip.

Originally posted by Miko View Post
    Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and have just picked up my new Fortuner, had all the usual mods done with ARB 2" OME suspension , Saraha bar, 275/70 BKO2 BFGs (just fit) and a 125 ltr fuel tank. Its set up for touring. However there will be times when it will be up in the high country and just wondering if the traction control is adequate (along with the rear diff locker - I'm aware the traction control doesn't work when the locker is engaged). Is a front locker worth the investment ?
    i previously had a FJ Cruiser and the A-Trac function worked brilliantly, sometimes better than having the locker engaged.
    Any feedback, experiences etc would be most appreciated.
    Thanks heaps.
    Sorry to hijack this thread, but when you say 125lt fuel tank, are you referring to a 45L aux tank that sits above the spare? are you concerned about the reduced departure angle?
    Back on topic, I reckon the Fortuner a-trac is pretty damn good, so I'd be tempted to opt for the 'anytime locker' as described above rather than a real front locker.
    BTW, did the runva fit without any issues in the ARB bar? (I have the summit, but I think the main bar part is the same as the sahara).

Thanks,
    Dave

Comment

• 23matc
      23matc commented
      Editing a comment
      Im also keen to hear about the long range fuel solution. When you went to 275/70 BKO2 BFG did the spare fit underneath? Im thinking either aux tank underneath or Jerry cans on a Kaymar rear bar. Its a little dependent on the tyres (also planning up upgrade them to 275/70 once the current ones wear down). Thanks Mat

• Miko
      Miko commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Dave, correct its the ARB aux tank above the spare wheel which gavity feeds into the main tank, thus give 125 ltrs without having to hit a switch to change tanks. It works well. With the 2" lift and 275/70 tyres I have ample room under the spare wheel. I have taken the Tuna on some steep and rutted tracks and the spare wheel has not bottomed out. The a-trac in the FJ Cruiser was excellent, the only thing was you had the option of engaging the a-trac, where as in Tuna it should come in when you go into low range.
      The Runva fits well in tbe Sahara bar, no issues.
      Cheers,
      John.

• Miko
      Miko commented
      Editing a comment
      The 275/70 spare is a very tight fit, nothing larger will fit. I've done the extra jerrys etc on big trips and much prefer the big tank. My previous FJ Cruiser had 159 ltr tank and it was brilliant. I managed to do Birdsville, travel across the Simpson Desert and get to Copper Pedy (900 km - 4 days) on one tank. Thus for me it was an immediate decision to have the bigger tank.

Things are a bit sad out at Aberfeldy.
    As I'm typing this I can see lightning going across the hills which will probably mean more fires up there.

Comment

From my experience a front locker is pointless unless you are a rock crawler. And even then the Tuna is more than capable

Comment

Working...
      X