Another new member

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another new member

Hi everyone. Been lurking around on this forum for a few weeks, finally got around to registering today. Am an Aussie guy from SE Qld, but current working overseas in Turkey. The contract here ends early 2019, so am taking the retirement plunge at that time with plans to settle in Penang, Malaysia. Was in Penang last month to take delivery of my new Fortuner SRZ (hence the profile name). The SRZ is the local equivalent of the Crusade - all the extras and lots of dead cow inside. The SRZ is a 2.7 petrol, 6-speed AT 4WD. Clocked up just over 1000km during my short break in Penang (visit every 3-4 months to house hunt). It was built just before the 2018 model started rolling down the Malaysian assembly line, so unfortunately missed out on rear discs, but pretty happy with the rest of it.

Photos are from delivery prep at the local Toyota dealership - took more after I took delivery but haven't got them with me here...

Welcome to the club mate. I was just in Thailand and was amazed to see how popular the Fortuners are over in asia , its great . Do they have the V6 models in Malaysia?
    2016 GX , in White

Comment

Thanks White One. Yes, see Fortuners everywhere - what prompted me to buy one. No V6 unfortunately, only the 2.7 petrol and 2.4 diesel here.

Comment

well , maybe as a retirement project you could set up an online site sourcing parts for us and shipping them over lol.
        2016 GX , in White

Comment

Yeah, could do that. Honestly, though, there are a couple of guys in Bangkok that are doing this on eBay. They seem to have access to a lot of genuine Toyota spares and accessories, so may be hard to compete. I'm definitely looking at them for a few bits that I want for my car. But it will be worth looking into when I finally set up house in Penang.

Comment

• Spook1205
            Spook1205 commented
            Editing a comment
            Who are these guys on eBay?
            Cheers

• dandin
            dandin commented
            Editing a comment
            The Thailand based sellers on eBay are making a huge profit. If you look on local Thailand sites you'll find the prices on eBay are adjusted for western prices. I don't have examples at hand, if I can find the time I'll dig some prices up on eBay (where the seller is from Thailand) vs local Thailand prices.

• Spook1205
            Spook1205 commented
            Editing a comment
            Oh wow! Thanks Dandin👍
            Explains why I found the TRD stuff so expensive, was looking at a bash plate and grill.

i know the Thai sellers are making a large profit , which i dont mind supporting as long as it is reasonable . I did find a guy while in Bangkok last month but wasnt able to get past the language barrier.
          2016 GX , in White

Comment

I've can find the LED headlights assemblies for ~$500 each from local Thailand sellers compared to the the ~$1200 each they're selling on eBay. I know postage has to be taken into consideration but it's not going to be $700 per headlight

Comment

Working...
            X