Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finding this forum useful and entertaining. We have a late 2017 Crusade and intend using it for camping and beach trips. Thoroughly enjoying it, but have only been camping once due to silly season. Have a roof pod to help with the camping gear. Don't intend to get stuck (!) But am a little concerned by the recovery point issue mentioned in the forum. Cheers.

Welcome aboard mate,
    the recovery issue really I believe comes down to what you are comfortable with.
    a rated point you know is good for said limit. What Toyota have built in is pretty heavy and is pinned and welded, it’s just we don’t know it’s rating. Although I couldn’t tell you the forces put on recovery gear anyhow, I am not an engineer and have never researched the topic.
    But the mechanic that I am says if you rip this out you have pretty much stuffed the front of your chassis and that will be no easy thing to do.
    Recovery points do look good though!

Comment

and if you want to use the factory points and feel better about it just use a equaliser / bridle strap , which spreads the load amongst the 2
      2016 GX , in White

Comment

Moffat95; You don't mention if you have or are getting a bull bar, but if you do, you won't have any probs getting recovery points to suit. For example, ARB's bull bar will happily accommodate their own recovery points. I'm sure Opposite Lock & Iron Man also do likewise.

If your just after recovery points without a bull bar, contact places like ARB to see if their recovery points will fit on the car as is, without going to the expense of getting a bull bar as well.

Road Safe manufacture recovery points & are in Victoria. Troy Schipper is the bloke I dealt with for Fortuner compatible recovery points. Ring & ask if their recovery points will just bolt straight onto the car, without a bull bar. 03 8687 1711

Comment

Thanks people.

Comment

I have both arb recovery points on mine without a bull bar at the moment so you can definitely do that

Comment

Should have mentioned I am on the Sunshine Coast. Borgna, please, you mention both recovery points - is that both on front? I don't particularly want a bull bar either. Do you have a tow bar? My tow bar is on the other car so i would need points front and back I guess. Lots to learn!

Comment

yer i meant both recovery points on the front. There is a left and right side. And yes i have a tow bar i just have a recovery hitch which would be my recovery point at the back if i were to get stuck

Comment

Thanks mate.

Comment

Another point sure to start some debate ...

Which is better - attaching snatch strap directly to tow hitch using the pin, or using a recovery hitch?
                    2015 GX auto / Genuine steel bull bar, snorkel and tow package / Ultimate suspension / Rhino sliders / BFG KO2s / ORS drawers ...

Comment

there are arguments for an against both ways - first one is good if pulling in a straight line , second is preferable if any sort of angled pull is involved.
                      2016 GX , in White

Comment

Working...
                      X